Sunday, September 22, 2013

Batman: Black and White #1 Review – “The New Generation of Black and White Stories Begins Here”.

Intro
I was really exciting to hear that a new Batman: Black and White coming out. Yes, it’s another Batman title, but it reminds me of the joy of watching the Batman: Black and White motion comics. They were very fun to watch and I have been curious to actually get the volume someday. If you’re enjoying the series, then I suggest you check out the motion comics. It’s very fun and different. After reading this issue it was definitely worth the wait. What I liked about this series is that there’s something very unique to bring to the table with great stories and beautiful art. So, please check this series out. You will enjoy it for sure.

Story
Many black and white short stories featuring characters like Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Superman, and The Ventriloquist.

The Good
The most exciting story I enjoyed in this issue was definitely Harley and Ivy. The art and writing reminded me so much of Batman: The Animated Series. The characters were definitely written very intelligently like Poison Ivy showing her scientific side, Batman showing his detective side and Harley was spot on with her humor. This story was written Maris Wicks and illustrated by Joe Quinones not Bruce Timm. But I think they definitely wanted to give you the feel of Batman TAS and it really did feel like I was reading an episode of Batman TAS. It’s the best writing I have seen in a long time. The next story I liked was Head Games, mainly because of the great writing of The Ventriloquist. Seeing the male version rather than the female in the New 52 was much a pleasure. Driven was another good story that didn’t have much dialogue but it did have great humor and it remind me of Wacky Races or the Fast and Furious series. I also did like the relationship of Batman and Alfred in most of these short stories. The other two stories weren’t really that interesting. But I did enjoy the art and that’s what I like about this series because the art can only be done in black and white.

The Bad
Batman Zombie is the most disappointing story in here. It was really strange and I could not tell what was really going on. It was very weird and boring to read. Don’t know where…when, wasn’t really much of a story. It had very little dialogue and more action. So, the story fell pretty flat. But at the least the action scenes look really well done.

Verdict


I give this issue a 4/9 out of 5/10 stars. It was a wonderful joy to read this issue, even despite of the two disappointing stories. But there’s beautiful art across all stories. So, I still think this issue is worth buying and reading or just to enjoy the art. I even think it’s worth buying the entire series mostly just because of the art.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...