Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Action Comics #23.1: Cyborg Superman Review – “Who is this vile violent man? And how violent can he go?”

Intro
Finally it’s villain’s month!!! And I have been waiting to read ever since it was announced. I’m really excited to read them and please check out the 3D covers. They are just absolutely awesome! Now on to Cyborg Superman, if you have been reading Supergirl you would know what’s been up with him. So far, I really like this interpretation of Cyborg Superman because he’s really sick and evil. I really dig the original one too. But I think this version is slightly better and this issue definitely lets us know his awesome origin.  

Story
The story is in a back and forth motion between Zor-el’s conflicts with his family and the aftermath of Krypton. During the aftermath, Brainiac builds Zor-el into to Cyborg Superman. He also causes destruction in a nearby planet called Kampara.

The Good
I think this issue was really good! The character, Cyborg Superman is just “wow”! He’s very immersively evil and violent. When he arrives on Kampara he just destroys everything and makes the citizens of the planet feel torture and suffering. Man, he is just brutal. You also get to learn about the man he was which Zor-el is. This Zor-el is very different than the pre-New 52. He’s really arrogant and has become really obsessive with saving his family and his city Argo. Zor-el is really cruel when he argues with his family. But you can tell he really cares because he tries to apologize and even makes way to try other means even if he disagrees like sending Supergirl to Earth. He really tries his best to be good to them. I really the take on this character because it really shows he has flaws. I have always known the previous Zor-el to be one dimensional like all good and cheerful or all mean and vile. So, it’s nice to see they combine the two. I also think the art is very beautiful especially on action and explosions. It just works very well.  The dialogue with the arguments Zor-el was very well done here too.

The Bad
To be honest, I kind of miss Hank Henshaw being Cyborg Superman. He had an awesome characterization that I would have to see redone. The Team 7 appearance really didn’t do him justice. So, just knowing that he isn’t this character seems disappointing. But I can understand because Hank’s continuity before the New 52 was just a mess and I don’t think they wanted to try to fix now.

Verdict

I give this issue a 4.5/9.8 out of 5/10 stars. I feel this was an amazing issue. It’s just awesome to find out who this character was and how he has become with this transformation. The only disappointment is missing the original identity. But this issue is definitely a recommend buy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...