Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Batman: The Dark Knight #23.1: The Ventriloquist – “Don’t Ever Trust a Creepy Puppeteer’s Food.”

Intro
It’s another edition of villain’s month with The Ventriloquist! Ever since, I have read about The Ventriloquist at Batgirl I have been disappointed. Maybe because I’m a big fan of the original and that’s because I enjoyed that version in Batman: TAS so much. Just to see a New 52 version of the original one would have been awesome to me at least. To be honest, I’m not really sold on this one. There’s too much of an exaggeration of the creepiness in her. I even think her design looks too much of the exorcist with the saw puppet. And even after reading this issue it’s definitely looking that way.

Story
The Ventriloquist lures some folks into a puppet show with free food. She discusses her past on how she became to be but gets interrupted by a couple of thugs. Now it’s her time to wreak havoc.

The Good
When I read this issue I thought it was okay. It had nice detail on her origin. But it wasn’t really that interesting. The art was the only great thing about this. It looked really good and detailed especially on the face expressions.

The Bad
The main problem I had with this issue is her origin story. I think seeing her kill her own brother because of jealous doesn’t justify me to feel sorry for her. It’s a bit too much for a child her age to be that way. I also felt it was pretty stupid for the people to trust a creepy looking woman’s food. I mean if I saw her I wouldn’t eat her food no matter how desperate I am. I think it kind of over exaggerated the creepiness to the point where the writing gets cheesy as well.

Verdict

I’m giving this issue a 2.5/6.0 out of 5/10 stars. The story just felt boring to me and the dialogue was too cheesy. I just couldn’t do it to myself to feel sorry for her either. The only reason I see worth picking this up is for the art and if you’re regularly reading Batgirl. Apparently the story continues in Batgirl. So, you will get the full story in Batgirl’s issues. Sadly, to say this is another disappointing Batman villain’s book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...