Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Smallville Season 11 #63 Review – “When an A.I. Dreams.”

Intro
When I heard the announcement of the continuation of Smallville in comic book form, I was very much excited. Mainly because I always such a big fan even despite of all the bad story plots it had. I think Smallville came out strong at the very end. The last three seasons were definitely one of the best so I was very glad and waiting to see how much more characters were going to get introduced. But after I have been reading the comic book series it has been from okay to mediocre. I don’t know what happened with this series, it’s even from the same writer of the last three seasons and it still doesn’t swing well. I am also not a big fan of the story switching as of late. I prefer they stick with just one story. The only story I’m sort of finding interesting is the Wonder Woman story. But sadly this week is about the Lex Luthor special which isn’t that exciting.

Story
Tess Mercer is having a full fledge fight with Lex Luthor after saving Dr. Hamilton. When he is defeated, Tess and Hamilton escapes and she discusses about her humanity meanwhile Lex awaits his next plan.

The Good
This issue wasn’t really that good at all. It was nice to see that Tess still has some humanity left since she became in A.I. But besides that the story still feels pretty flat. But I did like the art in this book. The characters did really look like their TV counterparts unlike in the Wonder Woman story.

The Bad
I’m definitely not sold on Tess being an A.I. To me it looks like she has lost much of her aggressive charm and gone completely soft. I kind of wish she could have been Lex’s apprentice than Otis because Otis is still that boring goofy character from the movie. I thought no one ever liked him. So, I’m really surprised to see him here.

Verdict
I think this issue deserves a 2/4.5 out of 5/10 stars. It’s a story that doesn’t have much character progression besides knowing that Tess can still dream. I don’t see why this was waste on a special. I rather see this happen on a regular issue because it really isn’t all that special. The only reason I see that this is worth picking up is if you are actually enjoying this series to see Tess finding her inner humanity. There is also some nice art. But everything else just feels flat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...