Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Iron Man #21 Review –“The Rings Tears Through!”


Intro

When I heard, Kieron Gillen writing for Iron Man I was really amped up to read it. Because I really loved his writing from Journey into Mystery and Uncanny X-Men very much. So, I really wanted to see what his take on Iron Man.  But as soon as I started picking it up, I really lost interest. To me, the story he’s taken with Iron Man doesn’t really add up to well. And I really don’t like the idea of rewriting the origin of Iron Man. I didn’t mind him having a brother, it’s just him being adopted by Howard Stark is what bothered me. Yup, you heard that right! It’s one story that doesn’t add up to well because Howard and Tony has so much resemblance  in terms of looks and personalities, so how could they not be related? It still isn’t explained somehow this happened fully. But seeing this happen gives me a headache and I felt that everything that held Tony and Howard Stark together and the man he became got erased. Even with this Mandarin rings story it still doesn’t interest me nearly as much either. It just seems to me that Gillen doesn’t have any idea of who Iron Man is and the villains aren’t interesting too. Because they are just too one-dimensional and there’s nothing different about them. I just really hope someone will eventually take over to make this series better and much greater such as like Matt Fraction, because it’s the 21st issue in and it still isn’t a good series. 

Story

Abigail is set to find the Mandarin ring bearers and when she does, Iron Man bumps into them as well.

The Good

The only thing I continue to like in this series is the art. Joe Bennett still draws the characters very stunning and everything just looks beautifully detailed. The only problem is that at the very end of the issue, the quality starts to fall in the action and looks rushed and cluttered. It looks very weird how it really got to that point. Another good thing is that we got to learn why these ring bearers hate Tony Stark.

The Bad

There seems to be not much going on in this issue. It feels very much as a set up and it doesn’t nearly excite you as much for the next issue.  Abigail still seems to be one-dimensional and nothing seems to differentiate her and the others on why they hate Tony. We all know why they hate him, but we can’t see the different personalities they have. They all seem to be the same character but with different ways to get to a certain point with Tony are the problem. Also, the argument between Arno and Tony is annoying at this point and it doesn’t look like as if it’s good character progression.

Verdict

I give this issue a 3.3/7.3 out of 5/10 stars. This issue is just okay for me. Not much is going on for me to enjoy it and I think it was just rushed for some drama or collision for the next issue. The problem is that there isn’t enough room for character development or background history to grow on. This story just has the problem to run by too quickly and slowly at the same time. But the plus side of this issue is that the art remains to be pretty to look at. But other than that this series continues to falter and the only reason I see picking this up, is if you would like to see what’s going on. But that still doesn’t hold my interest enough with this series. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...