Thursday, October 24, 2013

Action Comics #23.2: Zod Review –“Kneel Before Zod!”


Intro


Here’s another villain’s month issue starting Zod! I was really anticipating reading this issue because I really like how Zod was done in Man of Steel and I wanted see how this version was going to be done. The reason I like the MOS version so much because he was very menacing and violent. He also had a good reasoning for it. I felt they just really put the general persona in Zod in that film. It’s what was really missing from the character in countless interpretations of the comics. That’s why I didn’t like the villain because he was just being evil for the sake of it.  And, I’ve always that his origin was a mess. That’s the reason why I love the MOS version. His origin was really redefined. In this issue, I really like what they did in this one. I think this one issue you should pick up if you really like Zod.


Story


After the death of his parents he assembles an army against species that looked like monsters. But after defeating an innocent race he is sent to exile of the Phantom Zone.


The Good


This seems to be pretty good. They didn’t change much of his origin. But they definitely gave a good reasoning of his actions. He’s conflicted man that’s been influenced by his parents into thinking any race that looks like monsters are monsters. He felt they can’t be trusted no matter how good they are. And now, he hates Kryptonians for punishing him of killing an innocent race which gives him a good reasoning to have a driven hate or a goal in mind. It’s really shows that he is a very flawed individual. That’s what I like about this version of Zod, there’s a reason for his actions. The art is also good. There are very nice details on the face expressions and very good to look at.


The Bad


The only problem I had is that I felt it jumped around through time too quickly. We found about his childhood to adulthood in the span of five pages. I think they could of spanned a lit be about his parents and his time living in the jungle. I think it could have shown how much he was misunderstood by his parents at the values of creatures.


Verdict


I gave this issue a 4/9 out of 5/10 stars. It’s a great issue that’s definitely worthy of a pick-up. It’s a great read on redefining Zod’s character. We really get to see why he is the man that he is now. The art is beautiful and interesting to look at. The only downside is the jumping around the scenes. But I still recommend you get this book. It’s definitely an origin story you would like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...