Friday, March 7, 2014

Amazing X-Men #4 Review –“A Pretty Cold Day in Hell.”


Intro

When I heard the announcement of Nightcrawler returning from the dead in a new series called Amazing X-Men, I was ecstatic! I was itching for this character to come back ever since he was gone. He’s my childhood favorite character and I missed him for a very long time. Also a lot has changed since he was gone and I’m wondering what his reaction will be with the X-Men splitting up and not doing so well relationship wise. I also will like to see how Firestar will do joining the X-Men for the first time. But as I started to read this series, my interest has died down a little because Jason Aaron has decided to give the same quirky feel that everyone is funny like in Wolverine and the X-Men. At times it even feels like a sitcom and everyone acts sort of out of character, which is why I don’t like that style. But thankfully, this issue has become a lot less about that and really improved for the better and here’s hoping that it will stay that way.

Story

Nightcrawler has finally saved Beast and Storm now he’s out to save the others from a cold day in hell.

The Good

I can say I am definitely impressed with this issue. There was a lot less humor than the last issue and it worked out pretty well.  Because it felt right and not out of the moment like a sitcom. There were a lot of great interactions and moments with the characters like the Bamfs’ origin which might gross you out, Wolverine and Nightcrawler’s past about near death experience and Nightcrawler’s meeting Firestar for the first time. All these moments I’ve pointed out were really fun.
Ed McGuiness’ art was definitely impressive too. Beast’s face expressions were really scary and Firestar’s splash page was amazingly beautiful. The Wolverine holding Nightcrawler picture was great too is really gives off an emotion level between the two. I even like the action and great use of colors. So, I give props to Marte Garcia and Dexter Vines as well.

The Bad

I couldn’t really find anything bad in this issue. It was definitely amazing!

Verdict

I give this issue a 5/10 out of 5/10 stars. This issue definitely turned out better than the last. It had great humor and finally didn’t feel forced. Nightcrawler showed a lot compassion to his teammates and you can definitely see why he cares and how he was missed. We also get to learn about the Bamfs’ origin and great past moments. The art is pretty good as well with good face expressions and great centered pages that really stand out. There’s really no downside either. So, if you felt the humor was a little too much last issue or you want to learn more about Nightcrawler than this is the issue for you! You will really have fun with this issue like I did! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...