Saturday, April 13, 2013

“Jimmy Olsen is that really you?” - Action Comics #19 Review


Introduction
Action Comics # 19 is the first issue with Andy Diggle and Tony S. Daniel. I’ve been really waiting for this issue to come around because I really didn’t like Grant Morrison’s run that much.  Because reading his puzzle formula feels like a chore and it’s frustrating to put pieces together.   Also this is my first time reading Andy Diggle’s book. So, I definitely like to see what his writing is like.
Story
                In this issue Clark Kent is having a sort intimidate conversation with Lois Lane in the Middle East.  Then as Superman, he’s off to fight someone who appears to be or look like “Jimmy Olsen” in a robotic suit. Lex Luthor is talking to his psychiatrist about his mental issues.  Then he’s off to talking to some woman about his plans to infect Superman with a kryptonite virus as he fights “Jimmy Olsen”. The virus is revealed after he defeats “Jimmy Olsen”.
The Good
                I really didn’t like this issue that much because not much went on.  The only great moment is Lois Lane and Clark Kent is talking to each other. They had a very normal conversation that had an intimidate stare. It’s sad they get distracted. But I really like it because it’s the first time we actually see Lois and Clark talk to each other alone. It really makes you relive the dream of them being together again. I do like the Superman and Wonder Woman relationship but I hope it doesn’t last forever. The pacing in this issue is also great because you don’t have to figure out a puzzle. It’s very straight forward. So, you will be glad about Grant Morrison formula is no longer around. The art from Tony S. Daniel is amazingly beautiful. It’s very detailed and way better than the previous artist.
The Bad
                The problem with the issue is that really happens except Superman gets infected. The action was okay. It just wasn’t over the top. I really didn’t like the hype about him fighting “Jimmy Olsen” because it wasn’t revealed as the real Jimmy Olsen and Superman didn’t really care or get really emotional when getting shot by the laser. I didn’t like the Channel 52 News. I think they should get rid of it because it isn’t really funny especially for Ambush Bug.  (I just realized this backup is in every series and I feel I shouldn’t base my review on it. So I just want to point out I don’t like it.)
Verdict
                The issue should get a 7.5/3 ½ because it’s average. It’s an okay book but I did like the writing of Andy Diggle. It’s better than Grant Morrison and I’m hoping to see more even if it’s for a few issues.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...