Wednesday, April 17, 2013

“R.I.P. Cliff Barker, you were a real hero!” – Animal Man #19 Review


Introduction
                I have read Jeff Lemire’s work in the previous issues of Animal Man during the Rotworld arc with Steel, Black Orchid, etc. I will tell you so far I was not impressed with those issues. It really brought Animal Man into a downhill. It just didn’t seem natural. The dialogue and action was just really bad. I was really shocked because I love his work in Justice League Dark. So was surprised he couldn’t present most of JLD characters well in those issues. But when I read this issue it was a complete turnaround.   

Story
                The funeral of Cliff Baker has just begun. Everyone goes through the emotion of his loss before they go. When they immediately arrive there is conflict because Ellen blames Buddy’s fault for his death. She no longer wants to be with him and want her daughter away from him. After the funeral, publicity follow Buddy Barker’s trail. Asking him questions and he eventually throws a fit and decides to leave to talk with the avatars. He tries to convince them to remove his and Maxine’s powers. But they refused and throw him out. So, he must face being a superhero.
The Good
                I really did like this issue a lot. The writing did improve from over the last few issues. It really feels nature in the characters to express their emotions. I’m glad most the beginning was silent, because the emotions felt really real. It was just good to see how angry Ellen and Buddy Barker to what has happened. I even liked how Maxine didn’t understand death. She really felt she was going to see him again the next day. It’s what kids really feel like when death comes around. It even reminds me of my cousin when her brother died. She just thought her brother was sleeping and she will eventually see him again the next day. So it was really realistic. Steve Pugh’s art in this issue was amazingly beautiful too. This issue was just perfect!

The Bad
                I didn’t find anything bad in this issue expect maybe for Ellen. I really didn’t like how she reacted towards the situation. I normally don’t like her character because to me she isn’t a good wife to Buddy. She has disliked him ever since he was a superhero. It just seems like she never like him for who he is as a person. She never understands how he risk, tried or even cares deeply for his family. Just seeing her angry makes me hate her even more. But see her like this made me realized she’s very flawed and that’s how most human beings are. So I decided not to take points off for this. I’m not sure but I also have read that Ellen was bit more lighthearted in the pre-New 52. So, I don’t know why the change. I guess it just brings in more conflict.

Verdict
                I’m going to give this issue a 10/5 because it was just perfect. The emotions were done nicely. The art and the story felt so real. I just couldn’t seem to find any mistakes about this issue. The channel 52 news was sort of mediocre because it didn’t mention anything about Cliff’s death only Robin’s death. So what can you expect? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...