Friday, April 11, 2014

Beware the Batman #8 Review –“A Rebel with a Bat!”



Intro

At the time, Beware the Batman cartoon series came around I was worried, mostly because of the CGI and the use of obscure villains instead of the main. I was afraid the series wouldn’t do so well and it kind of reminded me of the last minute done well Green Lantern series. But I was very intrigued about the premises of Katana and Alfred being former agents and assassins and I did want to learn more about these obscure villains. But sadly, this show has suffered the same fate as the Green Lantern series by not having good ratings and pulled off of Cartoon Network’s schedule and has been in a hiatus ever since then. I admit this show didn’t have it right at first until now. I’ve seen episodes 12-17 that was aired in New Zealand. I decided to watch these episodes to see if it had any potential to up the DVD sales. Gladly it has great potential and has produced the best episodes ever in the series. The disappointment is that I feel that Cartoon Network already has plans to cancel this series right at the time it reaches its improvement and it reminds me very much of the same thing  that happened to Green Lantern. So, I suggest when the DVD’s are out, to please go get it. This show really deserves a second chance. Since the comic series has been around it hasn’t nearly gotten the potential of the cartoon. It has been lacking in many issues except for these two issues. So, I highly suggest you pick this issue and the last one especially if you liked the cartoon because it recreates the Batman mythos in ways you never thought before and they are done very well.

Story

Tim Quan, Barbara’s tutor student has become a man-bat and it’s up Batman, Katana, Oracle and Langstrom to save him with a cure!

The Good

This is honestly one the best issues of Beware the Batman I ever read. It was great to see how Tim Quan is actually, wait for it…this universe’s Tim Drake! We also get to see an interesting new relationship between him and Barbara. It really brings a new mythos to the Batman universe. It was also great to see how Oracle comes to play in this issue as well. The story is pretty interesting to read too.

The art is done very well on the characters’ face expressions and the action. I really liked how Tim Quan looked very similar to Tim Drake. So, you can easily tell the nods and his man-bat 
design looked scary and menacing.

The Bad

I don’t like design of Man-Bat (Langstrom) and I kind of wish this was an actual episode because I don’t know if Tim Quan will ever appear in an issue again or in the cartoon series at all. Even though, I have these complains I don’t see it as a valid reason to take points off for it.

Verdict

I give this issue a 5/10 out of 5/10 stars. This is a great issue that would have been a great potential for an episode. Seeing the relationship between Barbara Gordon and Tim Quan was really good and this Man-Bat story proves to be interesting. The art was very well done especially in the action. So, if you’re acceptable to new changes in the Batman mythos, then I highly suggest you get these issues especially since this series is cancelled too. It’s really worth reading for any fan of the cartoon series. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ultimate TV-Verse Podcast Episode 5 - Firefly Episode 9 (Ariel) & Episode 10 (War Stories)

  Hey everyone welcome to another episode of Ultimate TV-Verse podcast!! I know the news relating to Joss Whedon in this podcast is a bit ou...